P.O. Box 293
Carrollton, KY 41008
The Poppy Shop
in 1854 the Southern Bank of Kentucky was robbed
September 6, 1863 by 9 Confederate Renegades & 3
Post Office was built in 1901 on land purchased from
the Darling Family in 1900.
The architecture is Greek Revival.
Presbyterian Church built in 1830.
During the Civil War, Union Army used as a
horse stable. Current
church built in 1891.
the 1937 Flood, the water level reached 79.9 feet.
Normal Pool Stage is 12.5 feet.
have been four Courthouses: 1798, 1808, 1840 and the current Courthouse built in 1884.
Hardware was Grobmyer’s Livery Stable.
The original circa 1875 building was
destroyed by fire.
The Furniture Store was the Palace Saloon.
building now Burgin’s Floor Coverings was built in
1910 by WL Gaines, known as Gaines Drug Store.
and Nellie Lee built the building currently the
Cornercopia in 1922.
Once known as the Poppy Shop was
Carrollton’s soda fountain.
Old Stone Jail built 1880 with limestone from a
Jefferson County quarry brought up the Ohio River by
used until 1969.
Building built 1891 housed the Siersdorfer Shoe
later dates, it housed the Central Hotel, A&P
Grocery & elegant apartments.
& George Leep’s Pioneer Grocery Store built in
1882 is now the New Image Beauty Salon.
The ironwork and façade is original.
Barker built this building 1898.
It housed Carrollton’s first telephone
1993 it became JCC’s Carrollton Campus.
Shoe Store owned and operated by the same family as
a shoe store in the same location, since 1873.
Noted in world record books.
Burke Building was built in 1872 as a general store;
it was later used as the John Howe & Sons Bank.
Inn established in 1805 as the Point House was
rebuilt as the Houghton House in 1884.
Harrison House was built by RF Harrison a SGM in the
Confederate 4th Kentucky Calvary.
He was County Clerk from 1835-1896.
William Peachy was granted 2000 acres of land at the
confluence of the Kentucky & Ohio Rivers in 1763
for military service.
Craig and James Hawkins established Port William
changed 1838 to Carrollton in honor of Charles
Landing 1816 is believed to be the oldest standing
building left in Old Port William.
Rumored part of the Underground Railroad.
House was built in 1819 and is a fine example of an
early 18th century riverfront home.
Street once ran parallel to Main Street along the
Ohio River. Floods
and erosion washed the street away long ago.
series of four fires (1874, 1885, 1895 and 1977)
destroyed this block of buildings.
River Valley Worst Floods
in 1872 as C Berg Jewelry Store, this narrow
building had been a hallway to
an upstairs apartment over Hill’s Shoe
1875 as Driscoll’s Saloon later was Winslow’s
Law Offices. Now houses the Carrollton Federal Bank.